My Attempt at Crafty--Suggestions Please!!

Stories are my favorite thing about buttons--I always wonder who they belonged to and how they got wherever they are today.  But I've ventured out on a limb and I'm trying something crafty with buttons.

I've decided to combine my love of paper art, vintage buttons and reading by making vintage button bookmarks and bundling them with copies of my novel, THE BUTTON COLLECTOR.  This is new for me and I'd love to hear how I can do it better.

I start by writing a word in calligraphy on a page from an old grammar book.  I cut it out and singe the edges so that it appears antiqued and then adhere it to steampunk cardstock.  For the first ones I used double sided tape, but I am going to switch to adhesive spray in the future.  I chose the word REJOICE to be a good match for the holidays.




I then had the bookmark laminated at a copy shop, punched a hole in it and added a ribbon.  I picked out a button from my collection--no idea if it's worth anything but I liked it and thought it really went well with the steampunk theme--and sewed it on the ribbon.  I am thinking about positioning future buttons either over the hole or lower on the ribbon and possibly adding more than one button.  If it's over the hole, it is neater, but if it is low enough, the button dangles out of the book when in use, like a necklace.  



Other words I'm using are BELIEVE, IMAGINE, DREAM and CHERISH.  I'd like to make them appropriate for Mother's Day, Valentine's Day, and birthdays.  I just opened an Etsy shop named The Literary Button--right now there is only one bookmark up, but I hope to add more this week.  

Any ideas are welcome!  

Comments

I love this with the button folded over to the outside of the book.

I wish I could letter as beautifully. Lefties have a hard time with caligraphy
Kathy said…
I like the button "dangling", too. If you put the button over the hole the top of the bookmark will have to stick out the top of the book.
Since you are having the bookmarks laminated you could probably just use glue stick for the words and not have to go through the mess of spray adhesive.
Your lettering is beautiful!!
Laurie said…
They will be loved!