Announcing the 2nd Annual FALL IN LOVE WITH BUTTONS SWAP

Sign ups for this swap are now closed.

Floozies have been asking me about the next swap, and I agree: it's high time we had another!


Since the Fall in Love with Buttons Swap was so much fun last year, let's do it again!
The Fall in Love with Buttons Swap is one-to-one; that is, each participant will be paired up with a swap partner.  We will each alter an Altoids (or similar sized for those living abroad) tin, filling it with autumn colored or autumn themed buttons, and send it to our partner!

Check out some of the AMAZING beauties that were exchanged in our first annual swap last year:

Here's an example of the one I made last year:



The details:
  • The standard Altoids tin is 4" x 2.5"
  • "Altered" in this case simply means "decorated."
  • There is a fantastic tutorial on how to cover a tin here.  In it, she uses paper to cover the tin, but her instructions work just as well with fabric.  (Note: it took me about 15 minutes to decorate the tin shown above; I used scissors, not an Exacto knife, and glue, not Modge Podge, and ribbon, not paper.  Nothing fancy!)
  • The newer Altoids tins are raised/dimensional rather than completely flat on top now, but they still cover quite well without looking "bumpy".
  • For more altered Altoids tin ideas then you ever wanted, search for Altoids tin on Flickr.
The buttons:
  • Use any buttons you love for the swap -- they need not be new and they need not be vintage.  You might want to do some of both, like I did in the example.
  • As aforementioned, the theme is "Fall" so that means colors you associate with the season: yellows, oranges, greens, browns, reds, etc.  Buttons can be shaped like leaves, acorns, baskets, scarecrows, ETC.  Try to include your most interesting and delightful, quality buttons!
  • Please be sure to send a minimum of 40 buttons in your tin!  You can include more if they fit, but the tin should be full, and still able to close snugly.  In my example, most of the buttons were small, so I was able to fit 49 in the example tin.
How to participate:
  • Please don't sign up unless you are sure you are able to follow through!
  • Email me at buttonfloozies@gmail.com by Wednesday, September 19, 2012, with the following information: your name, your mailing address, your email address, your blog address if you have one, and whether or not you would be willing to swap internationally.  Also, please comment here to let me know you're sending me an email to join!
  • I will email you the name of your partner on Saturday, September 22, 2012; I will take special pains to connect people based upon their preferences about international swapping.
  • Complete your swap, photograph it, and get it in the mail to your partner on or before Friday, October 19, 2012.
  • After you hear from your swap partner that they've received it, visit the Flickr site I've created, Button Floozies Swap, and upload the photos you took of your swap so we can all see!  I will link to that Flickr page from this blog once many have been posted.
Spread the word!  Feel free to link to this post from your own blog, and/or copy the participant button from the right hand sidebar.

Comments

Kate said…
I have sent you an email to join the swap.

crazypurplemom do blogspot dot com.
Unknown said…
Oh I want to join in. I will send an e-mail right away. Been doing some PRN work for a caregiver company but have settled into the routine now and have some of my time back. I have an Altoids tin also. Will be fun.
QMM
Jean said…
Love this idea~ I would love to play. Emailing my info.
Peace said…
I missed it last year but would love to play this time! :O) Emailing now.
TWest said…
I would love to participate! Sending an email.
Oh, thank you for hostessing this! What fun. I'll be sending an e-mail soon.
~Michele
DeeDee said…
Yay! sign me up again.. thanks so much..
autena said…
Oh, goody! Count me in!
WW said…
Sign me up!! I just sent you an email. I was just thinking the other day that I wanted to do a swap.
PS, if anyone needs a tin, let me know, I have tons.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
donnajean said…
Just sent you an email....this sounds so fun!

I want to play also. I will start right away to make sure I don't miss the deadline.
I will start counting buttons soon as I get home from work

will check my drawer of tins for the correct box, if not purchase one

Janice
yes, I would love to join another swap! Email on the way..
look for an email from me --- I haven't played in a swap in forever, but I wanna play.
kimberly said…
I would love to participate! It sounds like so much fun :). I sent you an e-mail.

Kimberly Boldt
Unknown said…
I would love to participate and am sending you an email now.
Unknown said…
Definitely want to participate again! This was such a fun swap last year. Sending you an e-mail and I'll post about it on my blog too!

maggie said…
I've already emailed you.
thanks
maggie
Anonymous said…
Oh this look so fun! I am emailing you now. Thanks!
Margie S.
Deborah said…
Please add me to the list for the swap Laurie. Thank you.
Mary K. McGraw said…
I signed up again for this year's swap
South City Hues said…
Sounds like fun. Please sign me up. I will send my email.
Anonymous said…
Okay Girl ~ I'm hooked! I'm a definite Button Floozy!!! Love your blog :)
Becs said…
Hi Laurie. I would love to join in again. I had fun last year. I will email you but count me in. Becs
Noneya said…
thanks Laurie! I can't wait! Time to start sorting through buttons...yipee!!!!!!!
Laura S.
Robin said…
Im In Laurie!! Thanks!
ByLightOfMoon said…
I very much would like to join in this fabulous button swap. I have never embellished an altoid tin before but it is about time I learned and I have several in my stash along with Tons of Buttons I have collected!
I saw the Button post on Michele's blog http://michelestreasures.blogspot.com/ and she encouraged me to join.
Smiles, Cyndi