A Button for MLK Jr. Day

Do you see buttons everywhere you go?  I do. And I always wonder about their stories.

We took my daughter to Atlanta for fall break and visited the Martin Luther King Jr. historic site, which includes his childhood home, a portion of the surrounding neighborhood, and the church where he and his father served.  As we were leaving the church, my daughter spied a button that had somehow got wedged behind the metal mesh covering that was over a ground-level window.



Somehow it seemed prophetic and it prompted me to write about our experience that day. Even though this button probably belonged to a tourist, it made me think about how something so ordinary could have been on the clothing of a person who changed the world!  And the way it was positioned, seeming to grab your attention despite efforts to suppress it, struck me as metaphorical.

If you've never been to the MLK historic site in Atlanta, I highly recommend it!  It was more extensive than I expected it to be and I learned a lot of history from it.  Most impressively, I got a real sense of what life must have been like for him and his family.  More details can be found in the blog post I wrote here.

Comments

Laurie said…
Yes, I do see buttons everywhere I go! Thanks for marking the day!
Buttonchief7 said…
Your pic made me chuckle, a black button behind a white fence.
But in truth, it's so laughing matter. God is very sad and disappointed with our world. The world says tolerate, the Word says be holy.