Dorset Buttons in a Book, and there is some other stuff in there too.

I was rather excited when my sister told me about a book she had just read, as it mentioned the making of Dorset buttons.

As some of you may now, I love making Dorset Buttons.  So I happily borrowed the book and read it all.

I can tell you it is a great read, and even the bits that don't mention buttons are good!

So if you want something to read, then may I recommend 'Burning Bright' by Tracy Chevalier.



If you don't want to read the bits about buttons (are you mad? and why are you reading this blog, mad person?) then there is lots about the late eighteenth century in London and particularly William Blake and Astley's Circus.

Enjoy.
Alix, Bigbluebed

Comments

Lelia said…
Yes,

Mad for Buttons!!!

I never met a button I didn't adore
Gill said…
I've read this!
It's a great book!
ooh love the colours on these buttons Alix :)
Bigbluebed said…
Thansk you VV. There are 3 colours but you might not be able to see them all. I am calling them Candy Stripes.
Lynn Holland said…
I've read a couple of her books she is a good author, I will get this one. The Dorset Buttons look good.
Happy Easter time.
Lynn
One I Made Earlier Today
Laurie said…
Oh, I have read some of her other books -- thank you for the tip! Sorely in need of new reading material here!
lizz Boo said…
Hi Bigbluebird,
What do you use inside the buttons? I cannot seem to find any little rings to use. Do you use wire? I have been using washers and rings from keyrings!!
thanks Sally-Ann
Bigbluebed said…
Hi Sally-Ann. I use little plastic curtain rings for the tiny ones.
Bigbluebed said…
For the bigger ones I use brass or plastic curtain rings. You should be able to get hold of the brass ones easy enough, if not just let me know and I can help.

Oh, and it is not a bird but a bed! Crazy I know.

Alix bigbluebed@live.com